Server2008 R2:  Virtual machine licensing?
I am having a debate with a colleague about how Server and CAL licensing works in VMs and the conversation has led to confusion on both our parts. Now I need to clarify this. Scenario: 1 physical server Server 2008 R2 Enterprise as Hyper-V host 4 VM's, all Server 2008 R2 Enterprise instances For simplicity, let's say I have 100 Device CALs and exactly 100 computers. Questions: Do I need 1 Server license for each guest OS (so if a server license costs $1000, then I pay $5000 total, 1 x $1000 for the host and 4 x $1000 for the VMs) , or does the 1 Server license purchased for the host cover server licensing for the 4 instances of Server 2008 R2 Enterprise that are running as VMs? CALs: for simplicity, let's say all 100 computers need to access something on all 4 VM's at once, so that's 400 device connections. Do I need 400 CALs, 100 per virtualized server, or do those 100 CALs I own cover anything that my 100 computers want to connect to as long as it's a resource somwhere on the physcal host regardless of which VM? And please good forum members, don't point me to the PUR, it's evil I tell you :) Actually I like to refer to the PUR but I find sometimes it has ambiguous wording (even if just one word that could alter your perception of the paragraph's meaning) so I'd rather leave this question for a human response. Thank you.
September 29th, 2011 5:32pm

My understanding is... 1. Enterprise gives you 4 instances of OS licenses to use as the VMs so for 1) you don't need to buy anything else. 2. You don't need to buy any more cals, 100 cals for 100 workstations will let you access as many server instances as you like (whether physical or vms), as you have licensed the clients. What is different of course, if one of the servers is exchange, or sql etc., in which case you need to buy additional cals for those products, Dave David Hood www.consilium-uk.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 29th, 2011 5:48pm

you will get 4 virtual instances with the win2k8r2 ent edition,but you have to install all virtual machines on the same host and u cannot run any other roles other than hyper-v on host server. http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/virtualization.aspx for ur cal requirement pls refere below link.i think you have succesfully comply licenseing terms http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/about-licensing/client-access-license.aspxDarshana Jayathilake
September 29th, 2011 8:10pm

Hello, 1. Enterprise edition allows on the Hyper-V host up to 4 VMs using the same license key. BUT the host machine MUST run ONLY the Hyper-V role nothing else. 2. you have to use either device Cals or user Cals, for best option count the amount and use that one better for you. More details about licensing you should ask Microsoft support to get correct answers.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 30th, 2011 2:46am

Hello, 1. Enterprise edition allows on the Hyper-V host up to 4 VMs using the same license key. BUT the host machine MUST run ONLY the Hyper-V role nothing else. 2. you have to use either device Cals or user Cals, for best option count the amount and use that one better for you. More details about licensing you should ask Microsoft support to get correct answers.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
September 30th, 2011 9:38am

That is what I originally thought so I am glad to have it confirmed. You know how it is that when you think you know something, you discontinue to question it, then someday somebody says something that suddenly makes you wonder, and then you find yourself uncertain. A follow-up question: Does Microsoft place restrictions on the non-Microsoft products installed on on the host OS? Example (not something I would really do, but just an example), I put a big Oralce database on the host. I assume MS can't restrict this but I've never asked. I know that MS allows you to put Microsoft apps on the host that allow for management and security of course.
September 30th, 2011 9:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics